Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Vegetable Fried Bulgar


Hello gorgeous, I'm bulgar. Have we met? No? Oh honey, are YOU in for a treat! I may be wholesome, but I'm also known for my exotic streak (like when I strut my stuff Lebanese-style in tabouli.) I'm adventurous, and I'll try anything once...

Listen, I know you're tired of plain old rice; besides, she hasn't got half the protein and fiber I have! Couscous? Puh-lease, why would you waste your time (she's not even a whole grain, you know--she's a PASTA!) And sure, my sister quinoa is my nutritional rival, but she's old news! Why don't you put a little bulgar in your bowl, and I'll show you what it's all about. Winkie face!

Ok, I see you're being shy; why don't we get to know each other a little bit? Call me if you're in the mood for a little stir-fry, and I'll show you a good time!

Ingredients:

1 cup bulgar, dry*
1 zucchini
1 summer squash
1 head broccoli
1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1" piece fresh ginger, finely grated (or 1/8 tsp. dried ground ginger)
1 tsp. olive oil
soy sauce & siracha (Asian hot sauce) to taste
optional: sliced grilled or pan-fried chicken, tofu or tempeh

*Using two parts water for each part bulgar, fill a pan with both and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, cooking until bulgar has absorbed water and has a soft texture with a hint of crunch.

1. Cook bulgar; this takes 20 minutes or less depending on the quantity. I recommend making a big batch; you can set some bulgar aside to use in salads, soups and other recipes all week long!
2. Chop up your veggies and throw them in a large frying pan with a little water. Cover and steam (this is my favourite way to cook veggies on the stove top--it's a super quick and fat-free method!)
3. Mince the garlic and grate the ginger. When veggies are soft, pour them into a colander and give the garlic & ginger a turn in the pan, sauteeing them with the olive oil until they become aromatic.
4. Return the veggies to the frying pan and add bulgar. Mix well, adding soy and hot sauce. Throw in some chicken or soy protein if you wish. Voila, y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, this bulgar character certainly got my attention.

    What aisle would I find bulgar in? And is there a particular type or brand that stands out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to be a sneaky shopper to find bulgar! I looked everywhere and finally found it in the bulk section at Wholefoods, in a bin alongside nuts and granola and whatnot. This is not to say regular grocery stores don't have it; I'd look for it near lentils, rice and grains like quinoa. If your store has a health food aisle, it might also be stocked there. If you don't find it, ask someone who works at the store (they'll probably look at you funny; I get that alot!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the most Hillaryous recipe we've ever read. Bravo!
    Chip and Ellen

    ReplyDelete