Monday, June 1, 2009

Baked Halibut with Pineapple-Black Bean Salsa


I have a fish-crush on halibut. Its lower-mercury content and potatssiumy goodness on top of its versatility makes me <3 it. I had hoped to use halibut in my dad-inspired recipe for Pomegranate Almond-Encrusted Flounder, but alas, the fish counters were bare. When I stumbled upon some steaks in the frozen food aisle of Trader Joe's last week, you can only imagine my delight! (I later learned that "steak" means "you will have to pick bones out of me," so I suggest you use fillets if possible!) This dish is not only yummy and super easy to make, components also make it absolutely fantastic for you! Black beans add to the very lean protein in the halibut and provide a solid dose of your heart's best friend, fiber. An extra exciting nutritional tidbit: a cup of this salsa contains about half of your daily allowance of manganese, a mineral in pineapple that is essential for healthy skin.

This salsa is very easy to make. Feel free to make adjustments; I used some ingredients from my pantry and fridge that were handy. Avocado would make an interesting and heart-healthy substitute for black beans, and mango could easily replace (or add to?) the pineapple component. If you don't have any shallots, you can use red onion for a more pungent kick. And finally, a fresh jalepeno would work just fine (if not better!) as a substitute for the canned green chilis I grabbed from the pantry.

I served my halibut absolutely smothered in salsa; I couldn't get enough! A side salad rounded out the meal nicely, but a little brown rice would make a nice addition too!

Ingredients (serves 2):

2 halibut steaks, or about 2/3 lb. filets
1/2 a fresh pineapple, or an 8-oz. can
1 cup black beans
1 red or orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 shallot, chopped
2-3 TBSP canned green chilis or minced jalepenos
juice of one lime
1-2 tsp olive oil & lemon slices for baking
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Place fish on a baking sheet and dot with olive oil. Place a lemon slice on top of each piece, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. The baking time will depend on the thickness of your fish; 20 minutes worked well for my steaks, but you'll need 15 or so for fillets.
2. While the fish bakes, mix pineapple, black beans, shallot, pepper, and jalepenos. Squeeze lime over your salsa and mix well.
3. Top fish with a big ol' serving of salsa and enjoy! If you have leftover salsa, cover the bowl and refrigerate--the flavors will be even better tomorrow, and you can add it to a salad or turkey sandwich!

5 comments:

  1. H:
    You certainly know how to make a recipe interesting. Terrific post!
    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hillary this looks like a great recipe and i hope to try it out if i can find the french word for halibut ;). can you tell me what type of chilies are in "green chilies" so i can mimic that? i have some poblanos, serranos, and jalepenos in the garden.

    oh and ps, it's coarsely not coursely! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potassiumy? !tghin doog

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, thanks pz. i guess even grammar and spelling snobs like me aren't immune to such mistakes. i think fresh jalepenos would be the best flavour match for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete