Saturday, February 28, 2009

Clubbin Sammy


Though I was a vegetarian for 11 years, I've crossed back over to the dark side, and I really enjoy nothing more than a meat-tastic indulgence like this one. Club sandwiches generally have three slices of bread, but that's for the birds, really. Two slices work just fine. Toasting them is key, so you get that nice crunchy bite.

This healthified version of the classic club is all about lean(er) protein and healthy fats--ham & turkey, avocado, and turkey bacon for that essential bacony touch. Reduced-fat cheese adds calcium without too much extra fat; the veggies provide vitamins A, C, and E, and add to the fiber content of the whole grain bread.

Now, if there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I. HATE. MAYONNAISE. Ugh--even typing that word makes me want to gag. If it's hiding, like in deviled eggs or spinach-artichoke dip, fine, I can play along and pretend it's not there, but if it's on my sandwich, I lose my appetite. It's just the thought of that substance jiggling slowly, as only mayonnaise can do...alright, enough, I can't take it anymore. Needless to say, I've omitted mayo from my twist on this classic recipe, but you can do whatever you like in your own home. I'm not here to judge.

Ingredients:
2 slices whole grain bread
2 slices ham
2 slices turkey
2 strips turkey bacon
1 slice reduced-fat sharp cheese, like cheddar or swiss
1/3 avocado, sliced thinly
1/2 a roma tomato, sliced thinly
dark salad greens
2 tsp. of your favourite spread (I recommend dijon, garlic, or honey mustard--anything but the M-word)

Toast the bread while you fry up some turkey bacon. Wash the greens and slice the avo and tomato. Layer everything on your mustardy toast, and add some hot sauce if you're into that kind of thing.

yay for photography by seth c. drury!

No comments:

Post a Comment