Friday, February 27, 2009

Greek Goddess Wrap







This has been my lunch of choice lately. It makes a delicious meal without being too heavy. I like to use whole wheat lavash because it's the easiest to roll, but you can use a regular tortilla if you don't want to buy an extra item. 

I learned how to roll the perfect wrap when I worked in a little Manhattan vegetarian cafe. The trick is to line up all the ingredients on one end, fold the sides in, and roll from the filled end.  Omit the feta to make this sandwich vegan, or add some grilled chicken for a protein boost. Try serving it with a little greek vinaigrette for dipping!

Ingredients: 
1 whole wheat lavash
2 Tbsp hummus
1/4 cup crumbled feta

1 mini cucumber, or 1/2 medium cucumber
1 cup dark leafy greens, washed & dried
1 roma tomato, or 4 grape tomatoes, sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled & shaved
5 olives (kalamata or california,) sliced

Spread hummus evenly over the lavash. Add the ingredients in rows, starting from one end (keeping the other end emptyish will help prevent spillage when you roll.) Fold in the sides and roll, keeping the roll tight. Cut in half on the diagonal.



1 comment:

  1. A friend brought me a gift of dried "Mix Greek Salad" herbs (oregano, rosemary & thyme) from Greece--so much more flavorful than what I can buy here--and I sprinkled them liberally on this wrap, with ground black pepper (and a drizzle of olive oil if I'm feeling naughty)--oh, my!

    ReplyDelete